AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ALIKO SONGOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Feb 2005 15:45:26 -0600
** Please visit our website: http://www.africanassociation.org **

The other day, an astonishing piece of news was posted here to the
effect that the Congolese minister of Culture Muzungu (in
Swahili: white man) ordered the re-erection of the statue of the Belgian
King Léopold II. Before I could respond to Salifou's query as to my take
on the news, a second posting informed us that the statue had been taken
down a day later. What I was going to respond to Salifou was that it
appeared to me that the decision to resurrect Léopold was probably taken
without much thought or consultation, like so many others before it. If
Mobutu ordered the statue taken down in 1967, it was less because of
nationalism than because Léopold's statue represented a rival in
Congo's historical pantheon. Mobutu went on to rule as ruthlessly and as
long as Léopold (32 years for Mobutu, 33 for Léopold before Congo became
a Belgian colony in 1918). The other rival he toppled and assassinated,
of course, was Lumumba. When he realized that he could not govern
without invoking his name, he promised (also in 1967, if memory
serves) to erect a statue to honor his memory. He never built such a
monument. The
Congolese minister named Muzungu who ordered the re-erection of
Léopold's statue on the pretense that history should be remembered
should remember that the Congolese children today do not have a statue
of Lumumba to gaze at to remember the history that is closer to them.
My Togolese brothers and sisters will forgive me, but in Eyadema, who
has just passed away, Mobutu had an excellent pupil. I once spent a week
in Lomé. Watching local TV, listening to all the songs of adulation to
the all-powerful "Father of the Nation" I could have sworn I was in
Mobutu's Kinshasa. Léopold, Mobutu, Eyadema. An era has passed: Sic
transit gloria mundi
AS

Aliko SONGOLO <[log in to unmask]>
Professor
 - Dept. of French & Italian
 - Dept. of African Languages & Literature
 Van Hise Hall
University of Wisconsin
1220 Linden Drive
Madison, WI  53706