AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Alex L. Redd" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:02:25 -0400
My Dear Africans,

This is clarion call to all African brothers and sisters about the need
to understand and discuss the root causes and devastating effects of
ethnic conflict in Africa. As we are aware, poverty, low-income
distribution, poor health care system, weak government and most
unsettling, civil war and economic crisis characterize African nations.
Beyond these mentioned moral hazards, a foreseeable turning point for
improvement could be imminent, but the need to understand the underlying
source of these problems of our native land is important, if we truly
want to alleviate these arising impediments for genuine peace and
stability. Hence, the need to meet in one accord to listen to experts
and discuss these issues will benefit and enrich our thinking faculty
for redress.

Henceforth, we now have the opportunity to listen to Mr. Bill Berkeley,
an investigative journalist at the New York Times and author of  “ The
Graves Are Not Yet Full---race, tribe and power in the heart of Africa.”

Mr. Bill Berkeley is expected to speak at the University of
Wisconsin-Madison campus on Thursday, October 31, 2002 at the Memorial
Union at 3pm. The lecture is being sponsored by the African Program
Studies at UW-Madison. Mr. Berkeley is also expected to appear on the
ALEX REDD TALK SHOW on WSUM-RADIO 91.7fm after the lecture.

The author will lecture on his new book and share his personal
experiences in Africa. He has visited Liberia, Rwanda, South Africa, The
Democratic Republic of Congo (formerly Zaire) including other African
nations, where he personally met warlords and their fighters, government
officials and victims of brutality and repression.

This “new best book of 2002” according to the Los Angeles Times,
provides in-depth reporting and analyses on the root causes of
destructive conflict as well as its devastating effects that tend to
weaken most African nations and people. The book uncovers the parochial
role of America and other Western nations in the continuous drive to
ostensibly democratize Africa with western values. Reasons behind why
many African people are sent to their early graves, and the surgical
analysis of African governments, people as well the weird role of
frontline ambassadors from core countries to less-developed countries,
both in Africa and the Middle East are the central discussion in this
book.

As concerns mount for our land of nativity daily, I would like to appeal
and encourage you in this public manner to attend the lecture of Mr.
Bill Berkeley, Thursday, October, 31, 2002 at UW-Madison Memorial Union
at 3pm. Come and let’s talk about Africa.

Thanks for your understanding and consideration to attend.

Alex Redd