AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Adelaide Fiske <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 10:27:46 -0500
Happy 154th Independence Anniversary Liberia!

Referencing from the work Charles Morrow Wilson  and our personal knowledge, it is refreshing to to take a quick glance of that parcel of Africa called Liberia.

Liberia is a small coutry at the base of the huge western bulge of Africa. Liberia emerged and endured as a proving ground for the intergration of Black people markedly different in religion, language, place of origin and tradition.

Liberia is small: about as large as the State of Ohio. Until the turbulent recent decades it's population was inly one-seventh that of Ohio.

Liberia was conceived by white theorists, but it's history has been almost completely carried out by black people.

As the oldest existent Black republic and the first in Africa among the many independent African republics, it was looked to for leadership. It has also been a leader in the United Nations giving to the UN Security Council the first female President. Liberia was the first African nation to seek and receive membership in the League of Nations.

A friend in the hour of direst need. In the summer of 1914 when the Great War (World War I) exploded into bloody reality Liberia announced its position of absolute neutrality.  The propaganda war had been won by Great Britain the United States was speeding up her move toward joining the Alliese as a combatant. The US State Department under Lansing looked  to Liberia for assistance which the Secretary of State termed the only American gateway in vast Africa, employing phrase as "Ally in waiting".

On April 4, 1917, when the United States Congress formally declared war against the Imperial German government. Liberia formally declared war on January 12, 1918. A German submarine surfaced directly off Monrovia, the capital of Liberia and moved into position to attack. Liberia  with her only armed vessel interceded, the submarine surfaced a torpedo shattered and sank the lone defending vessel.

When the submarine had positioned the deck guns, it landed ashore a party of three oficers and an armed escort, which proceeded to the capital to demand of President Howard of Liberia that he acknowledge the the "technical surrender" of Monrovia and deliver to the submarine commander certain aliens, presumably British  citizens then present in the capital.

The Liberia President refused the demand, but adhering to procedures, consulted his government colleagues, including the vice president, cabinet members, and several leaders of the legislature. The consensus confirming the president's refusal, agreed that Liberia would "yield no bodies" and "abide no tranny". What Bravery and Boldness!

Liberia fighting shoulder to shoulder with other nations  in World War I She became a strategic ally and played a crucial role in the success of the Allies in World War I.

Declaring her independence on July 26, 1847,  the founders of this independent country, which was but a dot on the African continent made a commiment to take charge of their destiny. It is this commiment that we have be charged to uphold.

For our generation, our debt of gratitude is immense to these few volunteers who left these American shores to secure a place for black people free from the burden of slavery and colonization. The pioneers who landed on that African shore were all FREE men and women. Inspite of all obstacles including death they remained and positively interacted with the Natives of that land to establish this place called Liberia.. We salute our founding men on this our 154th Anniversary of Indedpendence!