AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kaleem M. S. Caire" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2000 12:06:27 -0500
I would hope that you would refrain from asking the mayor for a separate
event, and instead, come to the one that has already been scheduled.  I ask
this because just as African Americans and Africans share some distinct
differences, so do those of us within these groups.  Do Ethiopians always
agree with the people of the Sudan or approach issues and solutions in the
same manner? Do African Americans from one part of our community see things
the same way as African Americans from another? Do Black Nationalists
(Marcus Garvey, Kwame Nkrumah, etc.) hold the same beliefs about how to
move Africa and its people forward as Pan-Africanists (W.E.B. Dubois,
etc.)? Sure there are very distinct differences between all of us, an that
is why I think it would be valuable if all Africans and Descendents of
Africa show up at the same event.  For too long our opinions have been
codified, modified, and fit into a box called "Black People--Plain and
Simple."  We should voice our concerns, ideas, and demands and not worry
about if we agree or not.  It is time for us to demonstrate the diversity
among us; to show where we agree and disagree and where we can come
together.

Lack of knowledge leads to misguided and ineffective strategies.  Lack of
effective strategies leads to ineffective plans.  Ineffective plans
increase the likeliness of failure.  Failure increases apathy and
diminishes individual commitment.  Without commitment and action, our
meetings become pointless, our goals unattainable, and our greatest
advocates begin to disappear.

Kaleem M. S. Caire
Special Projects Director
Wisconsin Center for Academically Talented Youth (WCATY)
2909 Landmark Place
Madison, WI  53713
Phone: (608) 271-1617 ext. 22
Fax: (608) 271-8080