AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kaleem Caire <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kaleem Caire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 17:56:18 -0600
No, you are not wrong for being concerned.  The UW-Madison has been on and
off Emerge Magazine's "Bottom 50" of 4-year colleges and universities for
graduating African American athletes.  They publish this each year in
August/September.  I have seen the UW as low as 28 % (1993 or '94 if I can
recall correctly).  Fortunately, Ron Dayne, Donnell and Bryson Thompson,
Jeff Mack, and other African American football players, past and present,
will/have graduated successfully from strong academic programs at the UW.
There are a lot of institutions that we know of though, such as our neighbor
Minnesota, that have their share of problems with recruiting student
athletes, providing them adequate support and guidance, and holding them
accountable for their academic performance.  In the words of Dick Vitale,
the popular sports announcer, "It's about the money baby!"  Peace.

*Emerge is a popular magazine representing the political, social, and
economic issues of Black America and the Diaspora.  Pick up a copy from
Borders or Barnes and Noble.

Kaleem M. S. Caire
Special Projects Director
Wisconsin Center for Academically