VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Scott Hendershot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 11:58:56 -0500
Hello all,

I found this at:
http://www.nyise.org/whatsnew.htm#technews
and then tab down to TAL-MEC Ltd.Sonar Vision.

It sounded very interesting to me and if I had the money...

The only thing I find wrong is that they say we have trouble walking or
getting on the bus, I guess thats just so they can sell more of their
products.

Thanks, Scott

-------------------------------
TAL-MEC Ltd.
MANAGING INNOVATIONS
1074 Budapest, Szövetség u. 36/B. I/14. HUNGARY
Tel.:(36-30)-913-05-31; Tel./Fax: (36-1)-342-5883
E-mail: [log in to unmask]; Home page: www.elender.hu/~tal-mec

Sonar Vision

Introduction
The device is an aid to the blind and was developed to help their
orientation,
and to give an aid in their safe pedestrian traffic.

It is a fact that sightless people have a better sense of hearing and
feeling by
touch than people without this handicap. A blind person, for example, can
obtain
information to his orientation by touching or, to a farther extension,
recognize
objects using his cane. The device is developed to ease this orientation not
only to a range of few steps as a cane does, but to a distance of 3-4 meters
(3.5 yards) by warning its user of an upcoming obstacle. While moving, the
blind
can obtain information on the distance of the obstacle in front of him by the
pitch of the warning signal.
It is a problem to the sightless or near-blind peole to walk trough a simple
door or to get on a bus. The stem-implanted mechanism makes it possible to
"feel" distances and gaps by moving the head to different directions - this
way
the user can scan his surroundings and get exact information where doors and
openings are. Please note that the device can only warn its user of the
obstacles within its scanning range, and the stem-implanted mechanism only
"looks" in the direction according to the user's head, which is mostly
straight
ahead. Beacuse of this, the device may be unable to indicate small holes or
other obstacles just in front of the user's feet. This also means that, while
the device is an efficent supplement to the traditional appliances (cane,
etc.),
it will only partly replace them.
Beacuse of the technology applied, the device is light weight, and leaves
both
of its user's hand free.
The device gives an efficent help to the sightless and the poor-sighted by
giving an aid to their orientation and by widening the margins of their
living
space.
General description
- Lightweight, battery-operated device
- 3 sizes (Small, Medium and Large) fits all
- Easy to operate

- Recommended batteries: 3pcs. VARTA V675 A (There are several compatible
types)

How to use
- After inserting the batteries, put on the glasses

- Press the ON/OFF button. A beep will be heard as the device is switched on

- The device shall indicate any object in his range. The nearer the object,
the
higher the pitch you hear. Distance and sound pitch relations can be
mastered in
a short time. It's advisable to practice beside large surfaces (e.g. walls)

- Press the ON/OFF button. Six short beeps indicate the device is shut down.

You can get these glasses for a very reasonable price!

If you need more information about the product, please contact us.
We are looking for local partners spreading the device, and we accept direct
orders on E-mail, or fax, or phone.
E-mail address : [log in to unmask]
Tel/fax              :36-1-342-5883
Tel                    : 36-30-9130-531
Send letters to  : Budapest, 1074 Szövetség u. 36/B. I/14. HUNGARY

Light travels faster than sound.

Scott D. Hendershot
Media, Pennsylvania