Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 1999 14:51:16 -0700
When Dell makes the comment that the CPU cannot be upgraded and not
knowing what motherboard they are using, even a proprietory board, (a
motherboard built specifically for them), it is difficult to advise you on this.

My guess, based on Dell's reponse is that the motherboard is set to use
only the P166 CPU...  and if that is the case, they are right.   This means
a new motherboard for your new CPU.  But...  this only adds a little to your
cost and more work.  You will need to set the motherboard, (install it in the
case from scratch).

It has been my experience with proprietory systems that it is best to include
a new case in your upgrade.   I recommend going with a mid-tower case
such as Enlight or INWIN.  Both make excellent cases and they are economical
to buy, (I buy them in the low $50 range).  A mid tower gives you room to work
inside the case and offers you more room for adding extra components.

USUALLY...  with proprietory systems many of the existing components will
make the move to the new box.  Hard drive, floppy drive, CD rom, ram memory
sound card and video card should all move over easily.  Modems can be tricky
as they are often also VERY proprietory...  but, they sometimes can be moved.

Your system probably has 72pin Simm memory and if you new motherboard
has only DRAM or 168pin SDRAM slots, you may need to buy new memory.
Consider a motherboard that offers both simm and dram slots when buying...
it will save you on the cost of new memory.

Just go slow and this is not that difficult...

 Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group