Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 10 Oct 1999 21:48:13 -0500
7bit
From:
Robert McGlohon <[log in to unmask]>
> It turns out to be more like PaleoZone -- I'm trying to observe a
> 35g limit of protein at a meal, which is only about 5 ounces of
> lean meat.  My veggie portions are correspondingly larger, and
> I'm getting a bit more fruit.
>
> What I was finding before -- and I think others have had the same
> experience -- is that I was becoming somewhat obsessed with meat,
> and large amounts of it.  Vegetables didn't seem worth the
> trouble.  So, although I was eating veggies, I was definitely
> skimping.  That way a typical meal had a lot of meat, a little
> salad, or whatever.  Now I'm having to think more carefully about
> vegetables, so that I don't run out of gas.  I still get fat from
> nuts, plus what is in the meat itself, but since I'm eating less
> meat I'm getting less fat from that source.
>
> Todd Moody

Todd,

I agree that 5 oz. ain't much.  To me, a 10 oz. steak is tiny.  I can't go
your route, though, because the only *vegetables* I enjoyed, pre-paleo, of
course, were green beans, leseur peas and corn.  So I have a choice of
eating a WHOLE LOT of salads or eating mostly meat.

Unfortunately, after some early success with an Atkins-like all-you-can-eat
meat and fat diet, I found myself pretty much in the same boat you described
earlier:  I enjoy a meat-based paleo diet; I can hold my weight steady on
such a diet, to the extent I don't cheat; I feel *much* better; but I'm no
longer losing weight.

I'm pretty much convinced that a restricted calorie diet (for weight-loss
purposes, anyway) can't be a long-term solution. I think the record is
pretty clear that such a diet results only in a lowered metabolism and an
eventual rebound in weight.

I'm going to see if I can't lose weight on a pale-snacker diet.  I'm going
to shoot for 35 grams or so of protein per meal, but allow myself six or so
meals a day. I'm also going to make a concerted effort to increase my water
consumption.

Robert