Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
"Patricia E. Clark" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 16:14:10 -0700
>>If you want preparation procedures for lightly-cooked (not red but
still
>>firm) chicken, raw beef, and octopus, ask me for the "kelaguen"
recipes.

>I am interested in the recipes!

...>Susan

Same recipe book, by I Inetnon Famalaoan, 1984.  Kelaguens are also
referred to as salads.  The principle behind them is that Guamanians
noticed that if you soak raw meat in lemon juice it changes appearance
and looks cooked.

So the meat is chopped fine or mashed (with shrimp). Lemon juice is
mixed in.  Diced green or round yellow onions added.  Fresh or
nonsugared grated or minced coconut is added.  Then chopped chili
peppers are mixed in.  A large proportion of coconut is used, at least
1/3 as much coconut as there is meat.

Chicken is cooked til firm and not red (for safety from salmonella).
For shrimp, you clean, devein and rinse in boiling water.  For beef, you
chop fine, toss in a few minced tiny tomatoes and call it Tinaktak
instead of Kelaguen.

The coconuts, "limon" trees, chickens and wild peppers grow wild on
Guam.  The shrimp and octopus are caught on the reef (and freshwater
shrimp in the streams).  The tinaktak was originally made from the tiny
Guam wild deer, but now mostly beef (Australian or Tinian grass fed) is
used.

Enjoy eating.

Patty