NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 20:28:45 -0800
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 19:36:31 -0500 bronwyn <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>the dessert to be something good and decadent (really fattening and
>tasty).

While the other responses looked really good, I prefer less messy things
to take ot a pot luck that are precut and easy to serve.  Here is a yummy
shortbread type bar cookie that is filled with nuts and strawberry jam.
Apricot works very well too.  These freeze well also so hey can be made
ahead. I even froze some and transported them in a checked cooler on a
plane and only lost a few nuts in the process!  I also made great
thumbprint cookies for Xmas this year too.

Kathy P.

Czeck Cookies

1/2 LB margerine (don't use low fat margerine here as it tends to be
watery)
1 c. sugar
2 egg yolks
2 c. flour
1 c. finely ground walnuts
1/2 c. strawberry jam

Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease and sugar an 8" square baking pan (I use a
rectagular brownie pan - 9x7).  Cream margerine and sugar until light and
fluffy.  Add egg yolks and mix thoroughly.  Add flour 1/2 at a time and
mix well with each addition. Spread 1/2 of dough into bottom of prepared
pan (this will need to be spread out with your fingers as it is a little
stiff).  Make sure to get all the way to edges, but avoid going up the
sides too much - a little is fine so that the filling does not burn to
the sides of the pan.  Cover dough with jam and 1/2 cup of nuts evenly.
Cover with remaining dough (I pat this out in my hands in pieces and lay
it on top, then fill in the gaps.  Don't try to push it all out or you
just dislodge the filling).  Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/2 c. nuts.
Bake 1 hour until lightly browned.  Cool and cut into small (1" x2")
bars.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]