C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Barry Ashby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:54:07 -0400
Hi Cindy,

Welcome.  I am fairly new to this list, too.  We were told at Stephen's
birth that he might have problems.  We had a follow up visit with the
neonatal team when he was 1 1/2 months old and we were told then that they
would probably recommend therapy sometime in the future.  I returned home
and called our insurance company that day (we had already been assigned a
Case Manager).  We started PT the very next week (he was 2 months old).  I
am an RN and very assertive, there was no way I was going to have him wait!
 Brain development is too important and the time frame for neural pathway
development much to short to wait!

We purchased a stander when he was about 2 years old and I think we should
have started earlier.  There are many different types on the market and
they are geared to different age ranges. The same with the AFO's (Ankle
Foot Orthotics).

He underwent tendon lengthening when he was 2 years 10 months old.  The
orthopedic surgeon said this was on the young side but he had not seen a
child that young with such tight hamstrings!  I finally confronted the PT
after she gave me some vailed hints that surgery might help and then called
the doctor to have him seen.  I think he should have had the surgery
earlier but did not at the time know it was possible.  Unfortunately, he
now has a 10 degree contracture (permanent) in his right knee.  I often
wonder if it could have been prevented with earlier surgery.

I have found that the medical community is frustratingly negative and all
too often slow to recommend procedures.  If you think something needs to be
done, then it does.  Don't be afraid to assert yourself and get the help
you think your child needs.  Also, we have a pediatrician that is wonderful
and very supportive.  If you aren't getting results with your pediatrician
try asking/looking around for one that is willing to give you the needed
doctors orders.  Also, you might call your insurance company and see if
they assign Case Managers to children that have special needs.  This has
saved me valuable time and headaches getting services approved and paid.

A year or two ago Newsweek Mag. did an incredible article on the
development of the brain.  If you are interested, I'll see if I can find my
copy and tell you the date and issue.  This has helped me review brain
development and helped my husband understand better.  I have used it on
serveral occations as ammo when tring to get services or equipment!

Feel free to E-Mail me directly if you want to discuss any particular issue

Best Wishes,
Kim