Date:
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:01:00 -0500

I want to thank all of you who responded to my request for a low fat,
non-grainy, chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I did get a few recipes that were
not low in fat and I've included them in my summary for those of you who don't
care about fat.

I did try one of the recipes and made a small change to it and it was
definitely not grainy and very much like a chocolate chip cookie.  It will
definitely be a keeper although it isn't as low fat as I would have liked.

        Follow the recipe in back of Nestlees' semi-sweet chocolate chips
package.  Instead of using 2-1/4 cups of regular flour, I used 2 cups of our
flour (rice, potato & tapioca) and 1/4 cup of cornstarch, 1/4 teas Xathum gum.
I used egg beaters in lieu of eggs and only 1 stick of margarine.

Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup soya flour + 1 tblspn
1 tblspn potato flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 6 oz. pkg chocolate chips

Usual procedure:  cream butter and sugar until creamy, add egg and beat til
fluffy.  Mix  in dry ingredients until smooth, add vanilla, gently fold in
chocolate chips.  I always add toasted pecan pieces and a tad more rice flour
for a more substantial cookie.  Drop on greased (or foil covered) cookie
sheet, bake at 375 10-12 minutes or until brown.  Simply double for using 12
oz. pkg of chips.  No grit, just a wonderful "real" cookie.

Brownies (From ENER-G Rice Mix Box)

1 cup ENER-G Rice Mix
1 cup sugar
1/4 pound butter (1 stick)
1 cup pecans (chopped or small pieces) (I always toast mine in a little butter
and salt)
2 eggs (beaten)
2 squares chocolate (melted with butter)
1 tsp vanilla

Beat eggs, add sugar gradually.  Add Rice Mix, melted butter & chocolate,
vanilla. Beat until smooth, stir in nuts.  Oil and dust with Rice Mix (or
cocoa powder) and 8" x 11" pan (I just use a regular round cake pan).  Spread
evenly, bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.  Cool in pan 20-30 minutes, cut
into squares.  For more cake-like brownies, add a tad more Rice Mix, for
fudgier follow as above.

As I said, I have a fight on my hands with these and most of my goodies.  My
NON-GF family and friends want to wolf them down.  I always yell that they can
get anything to eat anywhere and these are MINE.  Their retort is always, yes,
but even the bakeries can't turn out anything this good.  So, go, cook, enjoy.

I use brown rice flour by energ and follow the recipe on the bag of
choco.chips.

Take your favorite recipe for CCC and sub in the Gluten free Flour
mix with these changes:

1.    Add 1/4 cup gram flour (aka: garbanzo bean or chick pea flour)
2.    Substitute 1/2 of the required fat in the recipe with an equal amount
of unsweetened apple sauce.  BTW, I always use butter or margarine, NEVER
shortening....Big difference in taste.

My favorite recipe is the one on the back of the Gihrardelli (sp?)
chocolate chips bag.  I also add chopped pecans, but you could use walnuts
or macadamias.  I just use the pecans because I am allergic to walnuts, and
macadamias are just too expensive!

GF Chocolate Chip Cookies-orig from Toni Richardson-chgd slightly by Barbara
Emch

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Mix with wire wisk in medium bowl:
1 1/4 cups plus 1 T GF mix (I use sweet rice)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup Nestle^Òs chocolate chips (6 oz bag)

Cream with mixer in large bowl:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
3/8 cup (6 T) brown sugar
3/8 cup (6 T) sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 T applesauce

Add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients and mix well by hand.  Drop by
teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake for approx. 10 minutes.  Makes
approx 3 dozen.

I made up this recipe for chocolate chip cookies two years ago and I get rave
reviews from chocolate chip/chocolateholices.  These cookies are soft and
chewy and do not crumble. So here goes.

3/4 cup butter flavored shorteing
1/4 cup real peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1/4 cup Musslemans Chunky Applesauce
1 cup Ener-G Bean flour
1/2 cup Ener-G Potato flour
1/2 cup Ener-G Tapioca flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1  1/2 tsp. xanthan gum
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups chocolate chips

Cream shortening, peanut butter, sugars, applesauce, cinnamon and vanilla
until light and fluffy.
Add eggs and beat well.
Sift together in another large bowl the flours, soda, salt and xanthan gum
three times.
Add flour mixture to creamed ingredients a little at a time and mix just till
blended on low.
Add chips and stir in.

I have added white chocolate chips and chopped pecans to them also and
sometimes coconut.

Bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes

There are Pamela brand cookies made with rice flour.  Pamela also has a mix
for brownies, etc.  They are absolutely wonderful!

My wife makes me a great cookie, but it might be a little grainy.
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of peanut butter
1 egg
then for a change you can add, pecans,or coconut, or choc chips etc.

Chocolate chip cookies
3/4 cup butter/margarine (I use I Can't Believe It's Not Butter or lightly
salted butter)
3/4 c brown sugar
3/4 c white sugar
2 tsp gf vanilla (or so - I just kinda dump it in there...) - the powder
doesn't work so well
2 eggs (I use pasteurized eggs, so we can eat the dough)
1 c sweet rice flour (my rice and tapioca flours are from an Oriental market)
1 c rice flour
1/4 c tapioca flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp xanthan gum (can decrease this a bit if the dough seems too stiff)
1 c chocolate chips

Cream butter and sugars. Add vanilla and eggs and mix well. Add dry
ingredients and mix well. Add chocolate chips.

Bake for about 10 min at 350F, or until the edges are just starting to turn
golden brown. Do NOT overbake. Let sit for a few minutes on the cookie
sheet so they can set. These cookies don't warm up well in the microwave -
they get a bit crumbly. Also, I tend to bake a pan at a time and keep the
rest of the dough in the fridge, as these cookies dry out faster than the
traditional kind.

If you are not allergic/sensitive to corn, I highly recommend you substitute
(one for one) cornstarch for cake flour plus one egg in all batter-type
recipes.  My son (4yrs old) is the only celiac in the family.  I have made
cakes and brownies with cornstarch and they are indistinguishable from
wheat!!

Simone, NH