BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Nissen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 18:52:55 GMT
I received a brochure from Iansyst who are demonstating the
Quicktionary Reading Pen at the UK Education Show 99, Thursday
to Saturday, at NEC in Birmingham (UK).  To quote from the brochure:

"Run it over a word that you have trouble reading, or that you don't
understand.  It reads it out to you aloud and shows you a full
dictionary definition of the word."

I saw this device in action at the BETTS show in January.  It seems
to be designed more for dyslexics than for people with low vision.

I have also seen a prototype pen device which stores the text that
you scan, and displays it on a tiny strip display. It was
designed for doing translations - e.g. English to German.  If it
had speech synthesis it would be much closer to what you need,
assuming you have enough vision to follow a line.

Cheers,

John
--

--
Access the word, access the world       Tel/fax +44 181 742 3170/8715
John Nissen                             Email to [log in to unmask]