BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark A Cobb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 1998 15:24:54 -0500
Thanks your web site offers a neat product. I never thought of using a
web cam with software to give a blind person a optical sonar setup for
mobility. When I find the camera I like I will download and try it.

I have found camera from 70 to 300 bucks and interfaces from USB
parallel to plan RF. I have emailed the companies and am going to try to
see these camera in action before i buy one but I was just checking the
lists to see if anyone else has had this idea or have tried it.

I just bought a notebook computer and am very happy with it and the
portability of it. I just wish my if not a CCTV was the same and the
idea hit me if maybe I could get a web cam or the like and put it in the
computer case too and use my notebook as a CCTV too. I know the other
companies use CCD chips in the camera for the CCTVS and that is all the
web cams are CCD chips like some camcorders are too so the resolution
must not be that bad. I have seen some web cams with fixed focus and
some that included two sets of lenses so I will update the list as I
find out for myself.

Thanks for the information, peter

later

mark