From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 05:47:11 -0600
Meidling Keith B SSgt wrote:

> Side question on this, External/Internal, Who prefers what and why???
> Curious as to prefrences and reasons...

I prefer internals.  Why?
1. Neatness.  With an internal modem, I have at most the Line cable and
a Phone cable.  With an external, there is also the power cable and
serial cable to route.  Less cable clutter.
2. Real estate.  With an external, you have to find a place on your desk
for the modem and a spot for the power supply.  If it's at the end of
the power cable, it hogs space on the power outlet.  With an internal,
it's just a slot on the motherboard.  Less desktop clutter.
3. Internal modems get their power from the system.  External modems
require external power.  Something else to plug in at the surge
protector.
4. Internal modems have their own COM port which leaves the system COM
ports available.  In MOST cases, there are no serious problems with
configuring COM ports and IRQs on an internal modem UNLESS the setup is
complex.

These are MY thoughts and opinions.
--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html