From:
Dan Shaughnessy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 13:32:58 -0600
Not familiar with the Packard Bells, but check through your bios to see if
an option exists to "disable onboard video" .  Since the manufacturer says
all you have to do is add another card, I suspect that's accurate.

I have purchased several video cards via the internet with no problem.  And,
you are right, it's usually much cheaper than the full retail charged at the
superstores.  Keep in mind, however, if the card won't work in your machine,
you will likely be charged a "restocking" fee to return it, usually 10-15%
of the price, as well as shipping costs.  If you purchase locally, you
probably will be able to return the card at no cost.  If you have doubts
about upgrading the machine, you may be better off buying local for this
reason.

Dan Shaughnessy

>Packard Bell POS, Cirrus Logic 5430 chipset, win95a
>
>I have a Cirrus Logic chipset on the motherboard.  According
>to Packard Bell, if I add a video card the chipset is
>automatically disabled.
>
>Based upon previous discussion of this topic, I assume that I
>don't have to worry about jumpers.  But do I have to do
>anything to the BIOS?  If so, what kind of an adjustment would
>I make?  I've never put in a video card, so this is new to me.
>
>Is there any problem buying video cards mail order?  They
>appear to be cheaper than at Fry's or CompuUSA.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com