From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:40:17 -0500
Dave,

US Robotics is the battle tank of modems -- rugged, durable, reliable.
I've never met anyone that had a problem with a USR -- well, IRQ conflicts
maybe, but no hardware failures.

In the old days, when modem speeds kept increasing, I would have said let
price dictate what to buy  because speeds increased before the modem wore
out.  Since 56K is the top speed for analog systems, you want to buy a
modem for "the long haul" so go with the best, even if it costs little
more.  As the saying goes "you can pay me now or you can pay me later"

One other thing to consider, is the quality of your telephone company's
system.  Unless your TelCo has all the latest switching equipment, you
will not get much better performance than a 33.6 modem.  I live less than
2 miles from our TelCo's main switching center but could only get 30-35K
out of my modem.  Two months ago, my ISP moved into the building right
next door to the switching center and had four T-3 lines installed, so now
there is the absolute minimum "gear" and wire splices between me and my
ISP.  When they moved, I saw a big jump in speed but even so, I generally
can only get around 46-48K with occasional bursts up to 52K.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====