From:
Ian Carmichael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:01:59 -0500
 I've had no problems with the Encore drive except for the following
nuisances:

Double-sided DVDs entails manually flipping disc.

If you're gonna output to a TV/NTSC monitor, keep your mouse handy (no IR
remote)

Drive doesn't handle digital audio extraction too well.  I've used this drive
as a source to copy audio CDs, and found "clicks" on copied media (not
noticable using low-end speakers/headphones).  This doesn't not occur with
other CDROM drive.

All-in-all I'm pleased with it.  However, you might want to check out the
current issue of Emedia magazine.  I believe there's a Toshiba unit reviewed
with better specs at around the same price point.  Also, recently saw the
Encore listed for $169 somewhere; alas, forgot where. tho'.

Jeffrey Delzer wrote:

> Larry Fisk wrote:
> >
> > A client ordered a AMD K6 3D 350 system with CD-recordable
> > and a DVD III player. He did specify "hardware decoding"
> > I have been looking at the Creative Encore 5x
> > http://www.soundblaster.com/mmuk/encore-5x/specs.html

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com