From:
Jay Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jan 1999 10:44:20 -0500
That used to be test I would do to test the floppy after installation. If it
could format a floppy drive and boot from it then the density was correct
and the floppy drive was okay.
I have 3 children and have found lots of things in the floppy drives. I
experienced a problem similar to yours when they stuck popsickle sticks in a
3 1/2" drive and I could almost format the floppy, but one of the heads had
become misalligned and could not make it a bootable disk. A lot of these
types of problems are unrepairable.
I have also found since I use a rather large tower and have supplemented the
cooling capacity with an OUTWARD blowing fan, that the floppies become a
good air intake for dust. I have found rather large bundles of fibre all
around the heads. I think last time I used a regular vacum to clean it out
without removing, but there are regular attachments as I'm sure your aware
of. This was a delicate operation with a flashlight as it was extremely easy
to damage something.
Did you know that you can fit Library cds inside a 5 1/4 " floppy drive
perfectly without detection?
It is odd that you can boot with another computer's system disk though since
you would think they would use the same sector parameters. Could be
coincidence?

Good luck,
Jay Johnston