From:
Daniel Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 09:18:22 -0600
I would go with the Zip drives.  They are faster than the ls-120 in my
opinion, and as far as the click of death, I think it is a minimal
factor to worry about.  I have 300+ zip drives at my location and they
run just as reliable as my floppy drives.  Those that claim to have the
click of death with their disk have never proven to me that my drives
are bad.  They always test fine to me and with 2000 users the few that
claim trouble are in the minority and I suspect it is either they are
using a bad zip drive of their own, or mishandle their disks.

Although I have replaced a handful that just would display the "click",
I feel their failure rate is no worse than any other component in my
cases.

Dan Ellis

Dale wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to purchase approximately 100 external storage units for a
> client. Something in the 100 Megs. capacity. As near as I can tell
> that means either the Iomega Zip or Imation LS-120 drives.
> What about the click of death ? Is it overrated ? Has Iomega cleared
> up that problem ? Does the LS-120 have a similar flaw ?
>
> Any thoughts ?
> Dale Laluk / [log in to unmask]
> Design Manager
> Lunar Communication Services
> P.O. Box 569
> Hudson's Hope, B.C. V0C 1V0
> 250-783-5365
>
>          The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>           you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>                hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html