From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:04:16 -0600
I am semi familiar with Winmodems and software type modems. While I am
pretty sure that all software modems would be considered winmodems, I do not
think that all winmodems would be considered softmodems. I beleive that some
winmodems only need windows to set the Com and IRQ settings and the modem
still does all of the functions of a regular modem. I use two types of
modems in systems that I upgrade or build. If it is a newer system and has a
least a 166MHz CPU, I have had very good luck with a modem that uses only
one chip to prosess the modems functions and lets the CPU do the rest. I do
not notice any system problems or slowdowns. If the system is older, I use a
modem that uses two chips to do the modems functions. The latter, states
that it only requires a 486 processor. Although both are PCI modems and I
have never seen a 486 with a PCI slot. I have compared both with more
expensive name brand modems and they all downloaded the same files at aprox
the same speed,  none were consistently faster than any of the other modems.

The only modem that I would strongly discourage anyone from buying is what
is known as an HSP (Host Signal Processing) modem. I have tried these modems
and never achieved consistant conect rates and had very frequent system
freezes and lock-ups. You should be able to find a good dual chipset modem
for under $40 with V/F/D capabilites.

Dennis Noble
Computer Parts & Upgrades
1-888-918-5467
Quality over Quantity
http://www.computersalacarte.com

>You should be OK as long as it isn't a Winmodem/ or software type.
>The Winmodem and modems like it uses software to control the
>modem which intern uses the CPU.  Any 56K modem that requires a Pentium
>(most at least 100Mhz) is more likely a winmodem. Yes winmodems are
cheaper,
>but
>30 or 40 more dollars you spend on a non-winmodem is well worth it.
>and be sure you get one with v.90, you'll be happy you do too.

>56KModems that require a Pentium and a rated speed--mostly 100mhz--is
either
>a software conrolled or a winmodem, if it doesn't mention anything about
>requiring Windows 95 and up to be used then it is more likey to be a
>software modem.  Win modems cannot be used in DOS mode.

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com