From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 13:25:39 -0800
On 18 Dec 98 at 10:10, Daniel Leung wrote:

> >Your e-mail caught my eye because I'm planning to do exactly the same
> >thing in 2 or 3 weeks (The second computer isn't ready yet.)  I haven't
> >yet thoroughly done my homework, but I was under the impression that
> >a program like Wingate or a Proxy Server wasn't necessary because
> >@Home allows you to sign up for a second network address for $6.95
> >per month.  Am I off base here?
>
> I already talk to my local @home provider, the way they do it is
> to add a hub and give us an extra IP address for the second
> computer. We have to provide the hub. They will connect a cable
> from the Cable modem to the hud and each computer is also connect
> to the hub.

  If you provide the hub, then all they give you is a second IP
address to use.  This is clearly the simplest solution, and at
$6.95/month, it's probably pretty reasonable.

> I guess If we run a Proxy Server, IP address is assign
> internally(incorrect networking terminology, I'm not a network
> guy).

  Right.  A proxy server ("Proxy Server" is a particular Microsoft
Product) is, at minimum, a router -- it connects your local LAN (with
its own private set of addresses) to the provider's network.
  Using something like this, instead of a hub, offers some
opportunities to protect your local LAN from various security
threats.  Some of these are less likely to have serious consequences
for home users than for businesses.

> Another question is whether @home will get upset if they found out
> we do it the proxy way.

  They might give that as an excuse, but really they will only have a
problem if your total use of bandwidth gets excessive.  Running a
popular server off a cable modem is probably a good way to attract
their attention.  But since the proxy makes your network look like a
single machine to theirs, odds are good that moderate usage won't
bother them.  [Note that some proxy servers implement caching, which
may actually *decrease* your bandwidth use if the same page is
requested from more than one machine.]
  Of course, for $6.95/month, the cable provider will provide tech
support for the hub approach, too.  If you're having trouble setting
up (or repairing) a proxy, that's not their problem.

David G

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html