From:
Brian Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 19:11:22 -0800
> I've been experimenting with my laptop and performed an FDISK with
> FAT32 and the Create Primary partition option, I then did FORMAT C:
> /S.  Now explorer shows a C: and a D: drive.  They both have the
> same files, and when I copy something into C:, it also shows up on
> D:.  If I delete the files from D:, they come back and the tree
> structure is again the same as C:.  How do I get rid of this D:.

David Gillett said-
>  It sounds like you've got a corrupted partition table -- two
>entries which both point to the same region on the drive.  Partitions
>should NEVER overlap.
>
>  Things I would do:
>
>1.  Scan for a virus.  I don't know of one that has this effect, but
>I also don't know of any legitimate code that should do this.  If the
>problem *is* a virus, it must be dealt with before these other steps
>can do any good.

Possible but not likely

>3.  Use FDISK to remove D: partition entry.  Fixing it *might* be
>that simple.  Check that C: still exists and contains your files; if
>not, you'll be glad you backed it up.

Not likely to help

Whats happened is that you now have do have a corrupted Partition table. If
you use a low level utility such as Norton Utilities Diskedit you will
actually find 2 partition entries. You will find a 1 FAT32 partition and 1
FAT32X partition. and both will show the same values.  I have fixed this
with Diskedit but I think your best bet is to BackUp and then remove the
extra partition preferably remove both partitions and then re Fdisk using
the /X switch.  Its been a while since I have seen the Ghost partition problem.

Brian Coe CM Productions

[Brian Coe]
-----
The American Dream does not come to those who fall asleep.
-----
[www.detox.net]
[503-260-4705]
-----
(c) 1997, Schizofrenia! ( Signature generated w/SchizoSigz! v1.0 )
Get your copy at: http://www.surfline.ne.jp/alt-fx

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html