From:
"Lindstrom, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 18:09:06 -0500
Greetings-

When I signed onto this list, I did so because I thought I wanted to build
a computer. Well, I wimped out and had someone else put it together, and
set the list to "NOMAIL". But now I'm ready to actually take the plunge and
do it myself. Things have changed a lot in the six or eight months that I
wasn't paying attention- PII, Celeron, AGP, 100mhz bus, Slot 1, Super-7,
and so on have come along and I'm a bit in the dark. So, I'm looking for
advice on what to use.

The machine I have in mind needs to be a good all-round machine, but not
necessarily killer. I'm a happy user of an AMD CPU at the moment, and have
decided to stay with AMD mainly because I'm not ready to pay the premium
for the name "Pentium". Also, I've decided to use a AMD K-2 3D 333 because
the price on these seems to be pretty good right now (compared to the 350).

As far as the MOBO goes, I know I want AGP, a meg cache onboard, and a 100
mhz bus. I'm looking at a Tyan S1590S, and I've found it with the AMD cpu
for about $220 (from Aberdeen), but I'm willing to consider other boards if
someone has any good suggestions.

Video- I'd like to spend $100-$150 on a video card. I've been considering
the Matrox Millineum and Mystique G200 cards, but haven't been able to
determine the difference between the two. TV capability is not important to
me, and I will probably play games but not extensively. Open to suggestions
here.

Sound- I want something good here, but not great since I don't intend to
invest in wonderful speakers (I already have a stereo system :). Been
considering a Yamaha card, but am open to suggestions. I don't want
anything that eats up too many IRQs like the Shuttle card I have on my
current machine.

Case- totally open to suggestions.

The rest (HD, memory, CD-ROM drive etc) I can figure out for myself, but
I'd be happy to get suggestions in the areas I've outlined- MOBO, video and
sound and case. Feel free to respond directly to save list bandwidth.

Thanx-