From:
Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 May 1997 13:06:51 -0500
>One problem.  Macadamia nuts can't be cracked by humans.  It takes a vice,
>and that's technology.
>
>Sorry,
>John Pavao

Maybe I am being too dour and missing some humor in the above post (I hope
so!); however, I believe it is fairly well-known that even chimps have been
known to crack nuts with rocks. Surely humans are just as resourceful with
their considerably more sophisticated technology using stones, bones, etc.,
even 40,000 years ago and before, even if one wants to discount modern
technology "vices" (in both senses of the word!). :-) Would macadmia nuts
truly be resistant to persistent or clever use of stone tools? Technology
(tool use), up to a certain rudimentary level of sophistication at least,
is part of the working definition that evolutionary biologists use (along
with bipedalism, large brain, language, etc.) to define the human
evolutionary adaptation that has contributed to our survival as a species.

--Ward Nicholson <[log in to unmask]>