BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Dwell time 5 minutes.
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:44:40 -0500
The SHPO has been involved in reviewing the manyiterations of this project
over the years.  the latest version we have seen ismuch less intrusive than
the earlier versions, and no we will not be losing the Post Office interior
(at least not the public spaces).  What will probably be lost (converted to
the new waiting area for the train station) is the workroom, which the
public never got to see.  there are stillissues to resolve, but the major
interior spaces are being retained, and the exterior is not being alterred,
other than to provide handicapped access.  Current proposal even has the
signage for the train off of the building on free-standing kiosks, banners,
etc.  The big problem is convincing the pwers that be that we should not be
recreating the wonderful interior of the dearly departed Penn Station.
Michael "my comments do reflect the opinion of the State Preservation
Office" (in this case)