From:
David Figueroa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:51:23 -0500
At 07:36 AM 2/27/98 -0800, you wrote:
>> Cliff Wrote:
>>
>> Traditionally COM 1 and COM3 share IRQ4
>> and COM2 and COM4 share IRQ3.
>>
>> Here, a mouse on COM1 would be used in Windows
>> all the time. So when you tried to use the modem
>> on COM3, it wouldn't work.
>>
>> I suggest:  If you don't use the Ham equipment
>> when you use the modem, then put the modem
>> on COM1 and the HAM gear on COM3, with the
>> mouse on COM2.
>>
>Could you confirm the above information?
>
>For some reason, I got the idea (quite a while ago) that if you have
>your mouse on com 1 you can't put your modem on com 2.  Consequently
>I've always put my mouse on com 1 and my modem on com 3.  This seems to
>have worked for me, although there are a couple of exceptions I have
>recently noticed.

The configuration you mention: MOUSE COM1, MODEM COM3 will usually have an
IRQ conflict since both would use IRQ4. Problems would tend to show up when
communicating with the modem (message or data transfer in progress) and the
mouse is moved. Usually the conflict is discovered at boot up by WIN95.

One configuration I presently use is Mouse on COM1 and MODEM on COM4 since
my particular modem had a problem with COM2. I have changed modems in that
slot three times (upgrading to higher speeds), and kept the COM4 setting
without problems.

David Figueroa
--
Internet Communications of America, Inc.