From:
Breck Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:16:00 -0600
Excellent suggestion Jim.

We have approximately 40 printers running on our NT based network at any one
time. Just about all of them are HPs, from an old LaserJet II and a 1200
C/PS up to a new DeskJet 1120C and several LaserJet 5 SiMX. They all perform
very well. We also recently installed a JetDirect 500x print server in order
to take only one node from the net and still have the 1120C, a 5SiMX and a
DesignJet 350C plotter all available in one location. HP's set instructions
and on-line and telephone support has been excellent. With the print server
on line the printer doesn't need any special cards or memory.

* You can share the HP that you already have.  It may not have all features
* available through the network, but it WILL WORK.
*
* First of all, is the PC (which has the HP) set up for sharing printers?
* Click START -- SETTINGS -- CONTROL PANEL -- NETWORK and then click the
* big button for FILE AND PRINTER SHARING.
*
* After you take care of the above.....
* You will probably have to install the HP driver software on each
* individual PC that will need access to the shared printer.  The software
* will probably fuss at you since the printer is not actually attached to
* the PC.  Just ignore those types of error messages and plow on through it.
*
* Now that you have the drivers installed on the PC, click START- SETTINGS -
* PRINTERS
* and right click on the HP's icon.  Now select PROPERTIES and click the
* GENERAL tab.
* Finally click the ADD PORT button and BROWSE to find the networked
* printer.
*
* phew!  A lot to do, but not impossible. <grin>
*
*
* Jim Meagher
* =====