From:
Richard E Nairn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 11:10:22 -0700

> Do you have subscriptions set to update automatically?  Check Internet
> Explorer\Favorites\Manage subscriptions and see if any are set to update at
> specific times.
>
> Ben Moore

Do you have it automatically checking your mail? I know that one of
the options for netscape is to have it poll for your mail.  Also I use
Linux and an on demand dialer (so this may or may not be of any use.)
If it gets abnormally terminated when I have had an active connection
it will redial, but of course I am an dynamic addressing so it is
trying to reconnect using the previous addresses. This causes it to
keep on trying until it times out, but that will often cause my
machine to redial quite a number of times.

What programs do you have running that access network services. That
would be one place to start... Is there any kind of network sniffing
so you can see what ports you are trying to access. That will give you
an indication of what you are dialing out for...

Just me $.02 :-)
--
Richard Nairn
Geological Survey of Canada