Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:08:27 +0000
        Hi.
        Old hd's were simply bad, many simply not fitting IDE specs.
Try as single, with the lowest PIO, disabling block mode, and informing
the disk geometry manually EXACTLY the one on your old system. Don't
waste too much time.

> I pulled this ancient Connor 170mb HD out of my old 486 machine. It was
> made around 1991, is a hoary looking thing with semi-cipherable
> jumper diagram, etc. But it gave me good service for 5+ years.
> And it ain't over yet (I hope). Mostly I just need to copy some
> data from it.
>
> I'm trying to install it in my socket 7 system with Tyan S1571 TX
> mobo. It failed to install as Primary  slave, Secondary Master, etc.
> I can't get it to autodetect at all. None of the 40+ HD settings
> in my Award v4.51 pg bios _appeared_ to be correct. Quoting chapter
> and verse on the mnfgr's parameters (cyls, sectors, etc) didn't
> seem to help. Also set PIO down to 1 and 2: "nobody home".
>
> Hey, its just an IDE drive! My TX mobo supports IDE stuff circa '91,
> doesn't it? Doesn't it??
>
> I figger its something silly, but I can't think of what.  All
> suggestions welcome.
>
>   TIA,
>   David

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)