From:
Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 22:51:38 +0900
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998 08:20:49 -0500, John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> The ATX motherboard should fit. But it is WIDER (extends past
> the keyboard port -- and features ports beyond it -- towards the
> power supply) and SHORTER (doesn't extend as far towards
> the front of the case).
>
> Gateway towers have cutouts in the motherboard pan (backing
> plate) for cooling and you may need extension brackets to
> support the plastic standoffs and pots/screws attaching the
> motherboard to it in the center. What you have already should
> align and be sufficient support, but one never knows.

Hi John,

Here's the word I got from Gateway:

The OEM Intel 586 PCI (Triton-Aladdin) motherboard is a BABY AT
Form Factor motherboard.  Unfortunately, Gateway 2000 does not
sell any motherboard assemblies through Add On Sales.  When looking
for a replacement motherboard for this system, you will need to make
sure that the board that you install conforms to the AT / BABY AT Form
Factor.  The case design of this system will not accommodate an ATX
Form Factor board.

Now, they're not clear about exactly what "will not accommodate"
means <g>, so I don't know if they mean any which way, or "you can
do it, but it ain't easy."

At any rate, now I know what I'm up against.  I don't know the word
for dremel in Japanese, but I'm sure the cost will be twice what it
would be in the states.  I also don't know how much cutting I'm
capable of doing.  I was never too handy with power tools.  :(
Perhaps the best thing in my case would be to look for a bare
bones ATX system.  If I can get a new panel, though, and if that
would allow me to skip "Shop Class,"  :))  that's what I'd like
to consider.  Do you know where I could search for such a
beast?  (I live in Tokyo, so perhaps there is something in
Akihabara, which is the electronics-store area of the city.)

While I wait for your reply, I'll put this sucker open and look
at it with newly educated eyes.  :)

Thanks again,

Lance