From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 00:43:32 -0500
At 04:49 AM 2/18/1998 Robert Prickett wrote:
> . . .
>However, killing EZ has become a real adventure.  After the usual
>fdisk and format, the first segments of C: take forever to scan, the
>hard drive clicks and the format is slow.  Called WD and tekkie said
>that EZ must be removed.  His instructions were surprisingly conplex
>for what should be simple, and like a fool, I didn't note them
>exactly.  I **think** he wanted me to enter CMOS, remove the LBA
>status, boot to a disk, and then the EZ disk.  Removed EZ per the
>utilities, reboot again, and reset the CMOS, with shutdowns in
>between.  Anyway, that was the gist of it, but nothing helps.

Sounds like correct procedure.

Set hard drive parameters in CMOS according the drive specs
(without LBA) or as close to the original settings as possible.
Then run the EZ drive utility and remove the software.

Reboot (do NOT re-partition with this software-- likely, you
will reinstall EZ-drive all over again) into DOS and use FDISK
to partition into ONE big primary DOS partition. Reboot, go
to DOS, format it, then run:

        FDISK   /MBR

at least 4 times to clear out any residual informative in the other
master boot records / partition tables. Should give you a clean disk.

Alternatively, you can download the WDC pseudo-low-level
format software and use that to ZERO out everything (it
doesn't actually perform a low-level format).

HTH.

John Chin

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]