From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 00:26:32 -0500
Errol wrote:

> A friend of mine never switches his computer off.
>
> He says that the act of switching a computer on every day
> gives the machine a big "shock" and shortens the life of a
> computer.
> What do you folks think about this theory ?

I seldom switch my computer off, but in addition to the reason you give
above it also involves the fact that I use it as much as I do. I used to
leave it on year 'round, but these days I end up turning it off every
month or so, depending on my circumstances.

I compare it to light bulbs: when they burn out, 99% of the time it's
during the turn on, rather than while they've been on for awhile.
Granted, a computer isn't a light bulb and I don't advocate leaving it
on indefinitely if you aren't actively using it, but in my case I use it
quite a bit of every day, so leaving it on makes the most sense to me.

Jeff Delzer