From:
Paul Wheaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:01:46 -0700
> I have been looking into hydroponics and growing food in my basement year
> around (I live in michigan so an outdoor garden wouldn't work for that).

Don't be suprised if the DEA comes to visit you.  :)

> This requires the use of commercially produced nutrient solutions.

There are organic alternatives.  They will just be far more expensive and
require more effort to use.

I think you will find that the organic alternatives will also make for
better tasting food.

> The food would not, strictly speaking, be organic, but there is no need for
> pesticides and fertilizers, though I suppose you could consider the nutrient
> solution a fertilizer.

The insect and diseases will find you, and you will discover that your job
of fixing these problems is harder when you are seperated from the eco
system.

Keep a sharp lookout for aphids!  Many a greenhouse has been wiped out by
the aphid wich is usually consumed by a variety of predator insects in the
wild.

> I am seriously considering doing this, but I am wondering if anyone has any
> good reasons for not doing it, healthwise.  Any help would be appreciated.

Healthwise, no.  Electricy-bill-wise, yes.  You are going to have a VERY
difficult time giving your plants enough light.  You will use fluorescent
bulbs and lots of them right next to each other and you will want to keep
the bulbs within an inch of the top of the plants.  Since the plants will
grow, you will need to keep adjusting the lights.  As the plants get
larger, the bottom part of the plant will not get enough light and it will
elongate (this is called phototropism).  You will have a spindly plant
that grows fast and needs lots of support.  Whew!  Lotsa work!  It's
experiences like this that give you a strong appreciation of the sun!

You may be thinking that houseplants seem to do okay with less light.
Well, houseplants are all shade loving plants.

If you don't want to take on this light problem full force, you might try
some varieties of plants that are not so light crazy and that don't grow
tall (like tomatoes).  How about alpine strawberries?  I think that they
do okay in moderate light (commercial strawberries must have full sun or
they taste yucky).

I hope this helps

Paul Wheaton, certified master gardener