From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 1997 08:43:12 -0400
On Tue, 5 Aug 1997, John C. Pavao wrote:

> BUT...  this is the same establishment that gives us high blood pressure
> and cholesterol drugs, and supports the FDA Food Pyramid.
>
> If we were all intolerant of iron in the meat we eat, how would we have
> survived as a race to this point?  Shouldn't we have short-circuited and
> died off?

It's puzzling.  The Willett study that I mentioned in an earlier
post showed that even infrequent consumption of red meat
increased the risk of colon cancer significantly.  Eating red
meat just once a week or once a month was correlated with a 40%
greater incidence of colon cancer, as compared with those women
who ate none at all (This study was only about women).

Such correlation studies can be misleading, but the existence of
the correlation itself appears to be clear.

Todd Moody