From:
Toby Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 03:02:51 -0700
Troy Gilchrist wrote:
> > If I might say, this is an awful lot of dialog over the effects of two
> > ounces of coca-cola for a single religious ritual.  There are no "alien
> > proteins" in coke, all it is is carbonated water (which can be found in
> > nature, BTW), and a few teaspoons of sugar--basically almost pure fructose.
> > You may not feel too well after it but I doubt you'll get incredibly sick
> > or undo months of progress because of it.  If you want to blunt the effects
> > of it, have a large meal full of protein and fat before you ingest it, as
> > close to the event as you can (i.e. have a stomack full of food) and avoid
> > any fruits that day.
>
> Don't forget that Ames' study of carcinogens lists corn as the number
> one carcinogen in the Standard American diet. This is because of the
> incredibly carcinogenic effect of aflatoxin, a mold which grows on corn
> and cannot be eliminated. Aflatoxin is approximately 200 times more
> carcinogenic than PCBs. Ames shows that the carcinogenic effect of a can
> of cola is much greater than smoking a cigarette. If you have to choose
> a forbidden fruit of which to partake, corn and anything made from it is
> probably the worst.
> It is worth repeating that the chaotic nature of the human body means
> that small inputs can have large effects.

Yeah, but look... are you actually suggesting that drinking a can of
coke
stands a serious chance of giving Karl cancer? If you're not suggesting
this, then I don't really see why Dean's observation needs
qualification.

If you are suggesting this, then gee, I'm worried. My entire body must
be a big bag of cancerous cells.

Toby