CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Andrej Grubacic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 17:04:12 +0100
One other point could be made here:

>     How does the United States foment war in Africa?  Why is the African
so
> stupid as to commit war or slaughter against each other on the orders of
the
> American government?   Do you think they are so spineless and so
unconcerned
> for their fellow citizens?

I have lived in very enlightened country, ex Yugoslavia ( I am so-called
Yugo nostalgic as Serbian as well as Croat nationalist are calling people
like me) , country which was internationalistic, educated , with rich
history, history of civil society, and than country of communist
dictatorship, but of a rather liberal sort; we were, all my anti-communist
feelings aside, because of our special strategical relationship with the
west, very "soft dictatorship" in comparison with Eastern Blok countries.
Socialy enlightened with exceptional standards in health, education, and
other free, public institutions.
This  social state was destroyed by joint efforts of the West , who had
fomented war in Yugoslavia, this is almost a truism now, and their agents,
our spinless politicians of today, communist apparatchiki, unconcerned for
their fellow citizens , by the direct orders of American goverment ( US and
Germany in the first place), for their exclusive benefit. Milosevic,
Tudjman, Izetbegovic, Kucan. This is in the very core of Power. Every
politician is corrupted ( by poewer) and there is not any politician who is
"concerned for it's fellow citizens". This is a chimera. State mithology,
manipulation of Power.
So, were we stupid? I don't think so. Neither the Africans are. These are
very complex matters. Old, ancient hatered, ethnic nationalism and other
atavisms were enlivened, media manipulation was formidable, and US donation
to nationalist parties in ex -Yugoslavia were heavy; in this atmosphere,
civil war was inevitable. European ( Western) Civilization is an imposant
cultural and intelectual construction. But, "Wisdom of the West" shouldnt
prevent us from detecting the ill-structures of
european-western-civilization: racism, imperialism, militarism, statism,
capitalism.
So, American Empire, in it's bloodthirsty capitalist effort , is the one to
blame for African reality.
Regards,
                    Andrej Grubacic