CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rosalie West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 22:45:42 EST

My observation is that a number of people are not sure whether they are a
type 1 or 2, including myself.  I was diagnosed at age 29, and it was assumed
that I was type 1.  I had to start on insulin right away, but--I've had a big
fight with obesity all my life, lots of hypoglycemia before I was
diagnosed--all type 2 indicators.  Also, I didn't need insulin around the
clock; only when I ate.  Well, that was in 1970, and I am now 60 years old.
I suspect I was type 2.  There seems to be a lot of action on the Low
Carb-Diabetes board, which I'm also subscribed to, and some of those people
claim to be type 1.5.  I've never figured out what that's supposed to be for
sure, but I think it means they are type 2s who have to use insulin.  As for
celiac disease, some of the people on that board mention that they have it.

I'll be interested to learn the results of your poll.

Best regards,

Rosalie