CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Pieper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Aug 1999 12:56:33 -0600

After four years, I think I have found a good solution to the bread carbo
problem -- Carol Fenster's white bread recipe (p. 30 in the revised edition
of "Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus").  I had been using hamburger buns for
sandwiches, but found them a tad large.

Anyway, this bread recipe tastes good, freezes well, and best of all, can
be sliced about 3/8 of an inch thick without crumbling. I get about 30
slices to a loaf. According to her analysis, 1/10 of a loaf is 31 g. of
carbo, so eating 2 slices that thin make only about 20 g. (Hope I've got
the math right!)

I bake 2 loaves at a time, and use earthenware bread pans.

Sue

Who basically doesn't eat bread on the side with meals, but needs an
occasional sandwich!

Susan Pieper/Las Cruces, [log in to unmask]

"I always thought it took courage to suffer. Now I see that being alive is
a special kind of bravery." From the Calendar for Women Who Do Too Much
199?