CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Katie Marschilok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 06:26:16 EDT

I am mother of 16 year old with Celiac & Diabetes.  My husband and other 2
children also have celiac.  I am a certified diabetes educator as well and
professionally and through our support group know > 1 dozen people with dual
diagnosis.  The better the diet, the better the diabetes control can get.  My
son started the insulin pump at age 11 which gives so much more meal
flexibility.  He concerns himself with the gluten elimination and just insulin
adjusts for the carbohydrate/sugar content.
        Snack suggestions - Pamela's cookies in moderation, rice cakes,
glutano cookies/pretzels, rice bars, apple w/peanut butter, potato chips, corn
chips, home made muffins.          See Bette Hagman cook books, especially the
GF Gourmet cooks fast & healthy.  Learn to estimate CHO content of GF items.
Hope this helps.  Katie Marschilok