CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pam Nylander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 15:44:51 -0500

Cynthia:

I definitely agree with Fran that you need to search out a healthfood
store in your area. And unfortunately, you do need to be prepared for
sticker shock. But we have all learned to deal with that. Yes, you can
have macaroni, it will just be gluten-free and made from corn and rice.

I am giving you a couple of resources for mail order food products. You
may already have this info. The Gluten-Free Pantry(860-633-3826 Phone)
                            P.O. Box 840
                            Glastonbury, CT 06033

There is also a website for The Gluten-Free Pantry:
http://www/glutenfree.com

I also have found that the Tri-County Celiac Sprue Support Group out of
Michigan has a real helpful guide. TCCSSG as it is usually called has a
mailing address: 13848 Greentrees; Riverview, MI 48192. I believe dues
are $30 for new members and renewal members is $25. Even though I live
in Ohio TCCSSG produces a shopping guide which is very helpful and the
guide is updated each year and individuals in that support group contact
food manufacturers to verify food ingredients. Example: Modified food
starch can be corn or wheat based. Besides getting the guide you also
receive newsletters which have good information also.

At this time do not worry about the diabetes. You don't have to count
carbs yet. One thing at a time. I am sure you feel overwhelmed
especially since you feel your children may have this too. Have your
oldest checked first since from what you indicated he shows more
symptoms.

This takes a while to learn all the things we "experienced" people know.
We were all at your place at one time. There are a great many good
products out there that you can eat. But until you get a feel for all
this, cook as simply as you can. I realize breads and pastas are out the
window for you until you find g-free resources for them or learn to make
your own. You can eat rice, corn, fruit, vegetables and protein.

The one thing you do need to remember is that most celiacs get sick from
handling wheat/white flour, etc. Many celiacs quit eating gluten but
continue to bake for their family. Eventually, they realize the problem.
Just purchase those things that you would normally bake for them
cookies, breads, etc. It is not worth it.

Pam