Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:04:25 -0800
Gonzo wrote:
>I do a lot of amateur graphics work at home so quality is important.

When it comes to quality, Epson is one of the better printers on the
market. You have a choice of dpi ranging from 150x150 all the way up to
1440x720. Couple that with quick drying ink and you have a printer that
will provide you with sharp, smudge free prints every time.

> I'm not sure I want to commit to six color or not, though. I'm also
considering something that's wide format like a Canon 5000 or Epson
1520.

The epson Photo 700 and the Photo EX are great machines if you are
looking for Quality photographs or graphics reproduction. These machines
will do occasional text but are slow at about 1.5 pages per minute.Six
color is better than four to bolster the mid tone shades. Other than
that............

Another consideration would be, will I ever need to print anything
larger than 8.5 x 11? Graphic Artists working on a shoe string, come
from both camps. Cost is a consideration. I would recommend the Epson
1520.You get a Resolution of 1440x720 dpi it will print on any media
from plain paper to iron on tee shirt transfers and it supports paper up
to 17x22> It is a very versatile printer.

> The one thing that bothers me is that none of the new printers seem to
have seperate ink cartridges. (i.e. each color in it's own cartridge not
just black and color seperated). So, does anyone out there know of any
printers that still have seperate cartridges?

While this is true, it is the way the printer industry has gone or for
that matter any industry.If it is profitable, keep making it.Cannon did
have a unit with separate cartridges and they stopped marketing it. HP
has a unit, (2000Cse) that has separate color cartridges. The downside
to this is the unit is expensive and the paper size is limited to a
maximum of 8.5x14 which is too bad.

> Any recomendations?

If cost is not a consideration, I would recommend the Epson 3000. This
unit has separate color cartridges, will print on any media and as is
the best in it's class with a resolution of 1440x720 and quick dry ink.

If cost is a consideration then the 1520 would be a good choice too.

> And last of all, if I end up with a printer that has multiple colors in
one cartidge, are their any particularly hard to refill that I should
avoid?

No manufacturer will honor their respective warranties if the print
cartridges are refilled. The chance of introducing foreign matter into
the print head will stop any printer from printing. The replacement cost
of the heads are expensive when you compare the cost savings of
refilling a cartridge.

If you consistently print using more of one color than another, consider
the added expensive of a Epson 3000.It is difficult trying to find a
system that would satisfy all of your requirements and still remain in a
price rage that can be afordable.

Armed with the information you will receive here, I'm sure your choice
will be a good one.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka