Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 06:59:29 -0700
At 06:22 PM 1/24/99 , Ken Goad wrote:
>Need some troubleshooting advice on the following issue:
>
>I formated the HD, then cleard cmos
>clock, took it all apart, and then replugged everything back in. When I
>sterted it up, I went and loaded bios defaults. I then loaded windows
>95. It seemed to work ok so I shut it off. After letting it sit for
>about 3 or 4 hours turned off, I started it up. It went into its normal
>startup, the W95 screen came up, then it goes back to the PCI Device
>Listings  screen, This is all normal so far,  THEN IT LOCKED UP, just
>stoped and did nothing, I pushed restart and then it said that windows
>did not finish loading last time and wanted me to start in safe mode.
>After starting in safe mode, I then restarted and it started up normal.
>The problem seems to occur after it sits for a bit. Remember now, The
>only thing so far I have loaded is W95, none of the other drivers for
>the cards. We either have a hardware problem or Windows 95 glitch
>occuring. I need your input.  Could it be the motherboard? or the video
>card, but i have not loaded the drivers for the video card yet, it is
>still running in standard vga driver from windows.

It sounds like you have an issue created by setting the system to default
in the CMOS settings of the Bios.   You need to tell us more about the
hardware for any knowledgable answers.   Here are somethings to check
that may be the problem:

1)  Many video cards require an IRQ and this needs to be enabled in the
     CMOS of systems over a few months old, (it is not required in most
     currently Bios).   The STB Velocity 128 & Velocity 3D cards required
     an IRQ enabled...   there are other video cards that require an IRQ.
2)  You may have an ISA modem jumpered to request com2/IRQ3, (or some
     other configuration), and your system is attempting to assign the IRQ
     to the motherboard's com port.  Disabling the com port in the CMOS will
     solve this issue.

There are many other conflicts that can be created due to wrong CMOS
settings.   Try verifying the IRQs each card and device is requesting and
how your motherboard is assigning them vs. Win95 is assigning them.

   Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html