NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Richard Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 11:32:42 -0800
Kim, can you (or anyone else) please provide a citation for this so that we
may read the entire article? Thanks.

At 12:35 PM 12/17/98 EST, you wrote:

>This I got from the New Zealand Medical Jounal.
>
>" Four New Zealand scientist say a baby drinking soya milk would consume 100
>times the amount of eostrogen that a breastfed child received, equivalent to
>several contraceptive pills a day.
>
>It is well establised that soyabean products contain phytoestrogens daidzein
>and genistein.  The quantities recommended by manufacturers for infant
feeding
>provide an intake three to five times as much daizein and genistein as
amounts
>which disrupt the menstrual cycle when fed to post menopausal women.
>
>Other researchers have similar concerns.  The introductory paper presented by
>the US Food and Drug Association Department of Health at a recent
>phytoestrogen conference notes 'Given the DES tragedy, it would be foolish to
>ignore the possibility that some phytoestrogens constitute a developmental
>hazard.'
>
>'It would be prudent for general sales of soy formulas to be stopped,' says
>the New Zealand scientists, Dr. Cliff Irvine, Lincoln University, Dr. Mike
>Fitzpatrick, Aukland, Dr. Iain Robertson, Auckland University Medical School
>and Dr. David Woodams of Aukland."
>
>There are other concerns about zinc absorption and soy formulas in babies
>drinking it before two months of age.
>
>Kim Sherwood, in upstate NY

Richard Rose, Le Grand Fromage of 'Rella Good Cheese Company'
(formerly Sharon's Finest). [log in to unmask], www.rella.com.
Since 1986 makers of TofuRella, TofuRella Slices, RiceRella,
RiceRella Slices, AlmondRella, HempRella and the new and improved
VeganRella in Cheddar and Mozzarella flavors. Look for it soon!