From:
Paul Gilbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 18:57:00 -0400

Hello all, I just had an unpleasant visit with a dietician I had never seen
before.  I went to see the GI doc who has been following me for 9 years,and
he felt I should see a dietician again,as it had been almost 4 years since I
had seen one.  The last one was understanding and did her best to help.

Today however we immediately got off on the wrong foot as she stated, and I
quote, "celiac is a black and white diagnosis, you do the biopsy, and you
either have it or you don't".  My biopsy was done 10 years ago after being GF
for 8 years!!It was negative of course.I have also gained 30 pounds on the
diet and feel worlds better.

I have also slowly developed many other intolerances.  As we went through my
list, she came up with a new diagnosis that I should have realized all along!
I have "FOOD ANXIETY" which is responsible for my symptoms.She then asked if
these symptoms were incapacitating.  Well,some weren't, but certainly make
life unpleasant and filled with "urgencies" that occur at inopportune times,
and in general make me feel bad.She said I should go ahead and eat and treat
any symptoms with anti-diarrheals, antacids,antihistamines or whatever
medicine will help whatever symptom.

I explained "but all I have to do is avoid these things and do just fine".
She said I need a balanced diet!!

Sorry this was so long, but my wife, who is extremely understanding (usually)
can't figure out why I am so upset.  Some of you fine people probably will.

"Food anxiety" , why didn't I think of that?    Paul