From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 23:12:01 -0500

My mother is a dietician so I was a little upset by Paul's experience
and called her immediately after reading Paul's message.

Her comments were:
1. was the dietician a Registered Dietician (RD)?

2. did Paul have a letter/perscription/referral from his GI doctor to
the dietician telling her the celiac diagnosis?

3. a dietician is NOT to diagnose or prescribe. A dietician is suppose
to be working with the medical team on the nutritianal aspect of the
treatment of a medical problem, nothing else. By telling Paul that he
has "Food Anxiety" is diagnosing and telling him to use antacids,etc is
prescribing.

>she came up with a new diagnosis that I should have realized all
>along! I have "FOOD ANXIETY"
>She said I should go ahead and eat and treat any symptoms with
>anti-diarrheals, antacids,antihistamines or whatever medicine will help
>whatever symptom.

3. Paul PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you live in the US contact the ADA
(Canada-CDA and I know other countries have their own organizations) and
your state licensing Board (if your state has one for dieticians) to
report the unprofessional behavior of this dietician. Please do this so
she does not do this to someone else, (my personal opinion is that this
could be even deadly for some patients that would go along with her and
then later develope other problems such as lymphoma, heart trouble, etc)

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD USA