From:
Leslie Fishell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:27:29 EDT

A while ago, I posted the e-mail I received from Red Star, confirming the gf
status of their nutritional yeast, and I got a few responses.

Several asked where I bought it (health food store), and how I use it (I use
the large flake type, mixed in water. Start with a small amount (1 t. or
less), and gradually work up to a tablespoon or more). It is supposed to be a
good source of B vitamins, including B12.

One person wondered if it was compatible with the candida diet (I don't know).

Some warnings:
It is not the same as Red Star Baker's yeast, which is not made as a
nutritional supplement.

It seems to be generally sold in bulk bins, so cross-contamination could be a
problem.

It is not the same as Brewer's Yeast, which is a by-product, not specifically
manufactured as a nutritional supplement, and it generally contains gluten.
Other brands of nutritional yeast may contain gluten, also; I have not
checked on any others. One listmember has had the following difficulties
purchasing it:

Hi Leslie,  It also helps to know that often people confuse "brewer's yeast"
for nutritional yeast.  And, if that weren't confusing enough, some health
food stores sell one or the other interchangeably and never bother to inform
the consumer!  (yes really!)

If you buy repackaged from bulk, then be sure that the person you are buying
from is honest about labeling.  One girl gave me such a hard time about
their being the same, that I finally just started asking to see the original
bag of product before I would buy the stuff. (what a hard head SHE was.

One more thing:  I did a websearch for "nutritional yeast recipes," and found
that there are a lot of recipes out there, which may be more palatable than
just drinking it. There was a cookbook, also, at amazon.com. We sprinkle it
on popcorn, around here, and some of us like it, some of us don't!!

Leslie in N. Calif.