From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:33:24 -0800

Rosalie, Helen, Ann, Aimee, Bill, Dan and others have attempted to rally
us to make a difference in labeling, the FDA, exposure, Helen Hunt, Paul
Newman, etc. Individually we can make a difference; together, we can
make a huge difference. (That's why I keep harping on uniting the
various CD groups...)

Rosalie Jalbert posted information about Hunt looking for an orphan
illness and Newman giving money away. Rosalie suggested that I post my
letter to Helen Hunt as a possible guideline for others. I'll send
something similar to Newman requesting that he donate money to the U of
Maryland study to discover the prevalence of CD in the USA. The more of
us there are, the more attention we get. That's what the UofM study
will accomplish.

Please send emails, postcards or letters to: Helen Hunt and Paul Newman,
20/20 as Dan suggested and other media. Here's my letter to Hunt:

Ms. Helen Hunt
9830 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Re: Sponsorship of Orphan Illness - Celiac Disease

Dear Ms. Hunt:

Please consider CELIAC DISEASE as your Orphan Illness to sponsor.
Currently, Celiac Disease is grossly under-diagnosed in this country at
a ratio of 1:2500. In Europe, it's 1:250, which ratio should be
reflected in those of us with European heritage.

The average time from symptoms to diagnosis is 11 years. In the
meantime, sufferers are diagnosed with stress, chronic fatigue syndrome,
psychological problems, irritable bowel syndrome, and more. Untreated
celiac disease can result in anemia, diabetes, osteoporosis,
malnutrition and cancer.

My sister contracted the disease in 1977 at age 30 and almost died
before they diagnosed her with Celiac Disease. She lost 5" in height and
her spine is bent as a result of severe osteoporosis. All three of us
sisters have celiac disease.

A pamphlet on the disease is enclosed. It's particularly sad to see
babies and children with the disease. They look like starving
Ethiopians, and, in fact, while eating a healthy diet, they are starving
due to malnutrition! There is no cure, but with a strict, limited diet,
one can be healed.

Our goals are faster diagnosis and better labeling of food products; and
ultimately a cure. You could be an incredible help in our effort.

Sincerely,   ...

Enc. {I enclosed a pamphlet from one of the CD groups.}