From:
Brian Schnarch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 20:51:47 -0500

About two weeks ago, frustrated with my crumbly and rubbery homemade GF
breads, I asked what tricks the bakers of GF store-bought breads might have
that we don't.

I was wondering if they use some kind of a special process or have some
ingredients that the home baker doesn't.

Only 1 of the 13 responses answered that specifically.  She mentionned gums
(e.g. guar gum).  Everyone else provided (1) breadmaking advice, (2) mix
recommendations and (3) recipes.    A lot of these may be old hat for some
of you.

**1) BREADMAKING ADVICE**

-better on days that are not too humid
-put a pan of water in the oven to get a good crust
-freeze the flours

-make buns using muffin top pans
-mix in the bread machine, rise again, bake in the oven
-line oven pan with foil, then oil it (avoids sticking)
-Call Red Star yeast( 1-800-forceliac) for advice specific to my bread
machine
-suggested additions: an egg, a little sugar, cinamon and raisins
-use guar gum
-toast the bread

**2) MIX RECOMMENDATIONS**

-Gluten Free Pantry mixes (popular)

**3) RECIPES**

-Hagman's pumpernickel and challah
-3 people provided recipes that they like.  I haven't tried them yet.

Email if you're interested.
-[Personally, I would suggest a stroll through the archives or the
voluminous recipes on the web site]

OTHER STUFF

Many agreed that homemade breads tend to be either gummy, rubbery, crumbly,
hard to slice (or any combination of those).  Others felt that these
challenges could be overcome.  Many said "keep trying".

A couple of people said that they don't like the store bought breads.  I
would tell them to keep trying.

I was asked to pass on any miracle recipe that I find.  OK.

One person said that there are plenty of other good things to eat.  True.

Thanks very much for your answers.

Brian