From:
Lisa McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 22:40:29 -0600

This is a good hearty, brothy soup recipe I found.  Hope you all enjoy
it too.

Beef & Cabbage Soup

1 1/2 pounds ground round
2 cups diced onion
2 cups sliced celery
2 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
3 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 t. salt-free herb-and-spice blend
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. freshly ground pepper
1/4 t. dried whole basil
1/4 t. dried whole oregano
3 10-1/2 oz. cans low-sodium chicken broth
1 28-oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped

Cook meat, onion and celery in a large Dutch oven over medium heat until
meat is browned, stirring to crumble.  Drain meat mixture ina colander;
pat dry with paper towels.

Return meat mixture to pan.  Add cabbage* and remaining ingredients;
bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until carrot
is tender.

Yield:  16 servings (about 108 calories per 1-cup serving).

*I find if I add the cabbage when directed, it becomes too mushy for my
tastes and I add it about 20 minutes or so before the soup is done.
Also, I add, subtract and substitute ingredients as I desire for taste
and to make it go farther, so I can freeze the extras.  (Reheat frozen
soup slowly in a double-boiler or microwave to avoid making it mushy).
Bon Appetit!

Lisa